Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: how to get bash_profile out of the way?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:18:07 +0200

Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Rodrigo,

> looking at my original message I see that the empty line in your reply
> looks different. In my original message I see the following instead:
>
> lp -d RICOH-Aficio-MP-C3001 -o sides=two-sided-long-edge
> ~
>
> HEAD address@hidden >

In the traces I see, that the newline between the two prompt lines is
<CR><LF> in reality. So it looks like

lp -d RICOH-Aficio-MP-C3001 -o sides=two-sided-long-edge
^B~^M
HEAD address@hidden >

Maybe both lines could be interpreted as a prompt, which might confuse
Tramp. If the first line is already regarded as prompt, it would mean
that the second line (the real prompt) is kept unhandled, or whatever.

You have the following options:

1- Change the prompt on the remote machine to be better
recognizable. The Tramp manual gives you some hints, how to do it.

2. Check your settings of tramp-shell-prompt-pattern and
shell-prompt-pattern that they do match only the last line of your
prompt.

> I have now also realized that 'make' on the remote directory does not
> work as well with 2.2.5. But probably understanding why the prompt
> gets mixed in grep's output would also explain the problem with
> 'make'.

That we shall investigate afterwards.

> Running on 2.2.5 I have produced the 'grep' verbose output as
> before. This time I'm attaching a file with it, just to be sure that
> you are getting exactly what I see.

Thanks, this allows much better to see non-asci chars.

> thanks,
>  Rodrigo

Best regards, Michael.