Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Privacy of the wesnoth-dev ML

From: Asa Swain
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Privacy of the wesnoth-dev ML
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 18:37:45 -0800 (PST)

The question is: do we want people on the forums
arguing over decision we make in the ML, or
critisizing us for comment/decisions we make in the
ML?

If the mailing list becuase exactly like the forums,
then why was it created? Or if Dave talks about dev
discussion retreating from the forums to the ML, is it
a good idea to make the ML as open as the forums are?

Realistically I have no problem making the archives
public, I doubt enough people will read them or want
to have big discussions about old decisions.

However I think it is simpler and easier if we limit
submissions to the ML to a certain list of people,
rather than trying to moderate every submission we get
from the public. That takes time, and if we think a
non-developer has good points, why not add him to the
list? Are there a lot of people we only trust to make
good/appropriate points half the time, and so we must
moderate them constantly?

I know I probably sound hypocritical, advocating
privacy/less access, having just joined so recently.
If someone wants to spend the time and energy to mod,
I suppose it's okay. But I thought that the whole
point of the developer list was that it was an
alternate venue for discussion in which we believed
that everyone who participated was mature enough not
to need moderation. I think either someone is
mature/experienced enough to join the list, or they
aren't. My point is that moderating is probably energy
best spent elsewhere.

-Asa