Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Improving wesnoth ingame-help

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Improving wesnoth ingame-help
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:33:57 -0600

On Feb 20, 2005, at 9:14 AM, address@hidden wrote:
1.) We especially disliked, that the unit-descriptions are not really
coherent. Some units got only a short "good at - bad-at" description while others (drakes) got a more epic and rpg like descriptions. We came to the conclusion that both have their place in the game. But it should somehow be one "style" for the whole system. We came to the conclusion that it would make sense to have the short descripions for beginners and beneath a more epic one for rpg fans. The short version could be done in few words like
"good-at:" and "bad-at:". This system would make it more friendly for
beginners, because they would have such a list for every unit without having
to search the big bunch of tables.

Personally, I think most of our descriptions are terrible. I would jump at the chance to make really nice, new ones, and could probably grab a friend or two from my college to help. Now, the problem of course, with this, is that this will make a mess of our translation status. However, the upshot is that the old translations would be just as good as they are now, so it wouldn't "break" anything - retranslation wouldn't have to be done overnight.

I think it would be worth it though. Our current ones are almost infantile, and are often written with incorrect grammar. I really think they mar the quality of the game by quite a bit. Amusingly enough, they are probably a lot better sounding in the translated versions, since a native speaker of the language was guaranteed to have written them.

I would like some means of having more generally wesnoth-centric unit descriptions, allowing us to add more dimension to our currently rather shallow fantasy world. They would be structured to be useable in virtually any time period in wesnoth's history - if someone needed to use them in a completely different world, it would be easy enough to simply redefine the few ones that would have place-specific references (the strange elensefarian practice of thieves dying their hair blue, for one example).

I would also like to STRONGLY REITERATE my suggestion of having separate character listings in the help section as well. All of those portraits I did for HttT are full-size portraits, and it would be nice to use those, it would also solve some problems from other hacks we have had - it would be a solution to the reason we currently do not show any portraits in help, because they would be used by all units of the type, not just main characters (for example - in TEI, all white mages would currently use dacyn's picture).

Not to mention this, but we could it to separate out special character units, such as Konrad and Lisar, and Delfador, keeping them out of the regular unit lists.

2.)

Yep.

3.)

Yep.  I'd like to help with the racial descriptions, too.

4.)

*shrugs*  I don't really care either way.

5.)

Yep.

6.)

Yes - we should provide generalized descriptions of each terrain's effect on different classes of units. For example, we should, in the forest terrain, state that elves move and defend very well in forest, and that other units find themselves slowed by it. (actually, a much more in depth description covering all of the races, but this was a short example).

7.)

Yep.