Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal

From: Joseph Simmons
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:15:03 -0600

I think its a good unit idea. I have graphical concerns, but I am in favor of the unit.

Basic unit, for which I have not specified stats (they would make it more expensive than other dwarves, more sturdy than a thunderer, and about the same movement).

20-21 gold. Probably ~8-2 melee (remember its magic). I figure you can't swing a hammer very quickly. If you want more strokes, 6-3 maybe.

Having a melee magic attack is not a new idea, AFAIK. The Shadow Mage line has it. (that's not an official unit, but its used fairly often). But that doesn't mean its not a good idea.

I would also like to suggest an aura for this unit. My idea is a stoneskin aura, which would make all adjacent units subtract damage from attacks dealt to them. The level-2 smith would cause an aura which would reduce the damage of all attacks by one.
Level-3 - two damage, level-4 - three damage.

This sounds rather complex. Why not give them the same specialty, but do something like leadership - it is more effective for lower levels? Gives ~20% attack resistance to physical attacks per level difference. So at fourth level, it give ~60% resistance to attacks... that might be too powerful.

This should, perhaps be limited to pierce/blade/impact attacks, and should not be able to reduce damage below 1 damage per strike.

I think the limitation to physical attacks is good, but it might be seen as too complex. By reduce damage below 1 damage per strike, you mean it cannot make them do 0 damage, right? That is i believe already done for all damage-reducing effects (like resistance and bad time of day). Or do you mean it cannot reduce damage by more than 1? That would be odd, and I doubt its what you mean, but its how I read what you said at first.

The whole point of this is to make the dwarves (and by this, I mean the dwarves alone, not the knalgans) more powerful, without sacrificing their "dwarvenness".

It is very dwarvish, I'll give you that.

-turin