[Wesnoth-dev] Theme System Limitations

From: James Barton
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Theme System Limitations
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:33:47 -0500

Howdy all

I've just finished a turbulent round of midterms, so I haven't been working on Wesnoth stuff much. I did however take time off writing a paper to muck about a bit with themes, and have attached the results. (Don't worry, I got the paper in on time).

In doing so, however, I have noticed a flaw in the theme system: Namely, you don't have control over the font. You can control the size of the writing, but not its style or colour.

Specifying fonts is not critical, but I believe that it is important if we want a proper theme system - obviously there'll need to be some way to provide new fonts along with graphics / theme data. More important is specifying font colour. As you can see from the attached screenshot, if you want to create a light-coloured theme, the writing can barely be seen. This is a problem.

Obviously, as I'm not a coder, there's nothing that I can do to fix this. If someone could look into this, however, I would be grateful, and it would probably make it worth my while to put serious effort into this side-project.

Thanks all,

James
 a.k.a. Sangel

JPEG image