[Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:09:38 -0600

The dwarven smith line.
Graphics-in-progress are here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63801#63801

Basic unit, for which I have not specified stats (they would make it more expensive than other dwarves, more sturdy than a thunderer, and about the same movement). It has no ranged attack, but it has a *Magic* impact melee attack, aimed at one of the primary weaknesses of the dwarves, which is in dealing with entrenched opponents.

As per the ancient, and previous proposal, it goes to level four. A good part of the purpose of this unit is to provide for a unit which can be used both as a generic unit, and as a campaign enemy/hero.

I would also like to suggest an aura for this unit. My idea is a stoneskin aura, which would make all adjacent units subtract damage from attacks dealt to them. The level-2 smith would cause an aura which would reduce the damage of all attacks by one.
Level-3 - two damage, level-4 - three damage.

This should, perhaps be limited to pierce/blade/impact attacks, and should not be able to reduce damage below 1 damage per strike.

This would be very powerful, but no more so than leadership, or illumination, each of which generally adds more than 1 damage to a hit (leading a charging horseman, even with a level-2 leader, can elicit a VERY strong damage increase).

The whole point of this is to make the dwarves (and by this, I mean the dwarves alone, not the knalgans) more powerful, without sacrificing their "dwarvenness".