Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New developers

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New developers
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:54:54 -0600

On Feb 23, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Guillaume Melquiond wrote:

Hi,

One month ago, I had asked on this mailing-list for Forcemstr,
Invisible Philosopher, Ott, and Darth Fool, to get an upgrade in their
developer status. But only Forcemstr got CVS access. So I'm suggesting
once again that Invisible Philosopher, Ott, and Darth Fool join the
ranks of full-time Wesnoth developers.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the above are more than worthy of joining the team. Your vote carries much more weight than mine, in this, but I can at least vouch for their being stable, responsible people.

These are for the coders. We should also probably get some new
graphist developers, since the only two active developers that remain
are Jetryl and Freim. But I can't really judge who is worth
considering, especially since I don't frequent the Art forum; Shadow,
maybe? I will let Jetryl and Freim suggest names.

Unfortunately, we are quite short on artists. Every once in a while someone interesting will stop by (Banjooie, for example), but none of them *stay* for very long. Banjooie committed, I think, two sprites, only one of which was created from scratch. We do have other people who do work, on occasion, like Disto, but these people are quite lacking in skill at the time being.

Disto was probably one candidate in people's minds, but he really doesn't have much skill. I'm pretty sure he couldn't create an original, "from scratch," not-derived-from-another-game-sprite graphic in any semblance of quality at the time being (Elvish Pillager is much better than he is, for one clear example).

Shadow is the only person we would have worth considering, and I would say not *quite* yet, although soon. Not unlike myself, it takes a while to incubate a new artist, and hone his/her eye into shape. It takes a while to develop a sense of whether work is or is not above the "good enough" threshold, and even senior artists like myself, neo, and fmuñoz make mistakes in judgement.

The idea is to minimize them as much as possible. Once an artist reaches a certain state, they are "good enough" to do things well *without* supervision. I was unsure of whether my work was of quality during my early days of CVS access, and thus I did not commit anything unless I had explicit permission from Dave - a similar system would work well for shadow.

We would also need to initiate him into the "computer-ese" of working with cvs - I am not sure of his age (15?), but I think I would strongly suggest that someone who speaks german natively should talk to him when we do so - he has professed to have difficulties with comprehension on some of the things I've said to him, and trying to learn cvs with that piled on top would be a bit much.

Anyways, I think with a month or so of practice (I'll work with him to try and finish out the dwarven race, which should supply that), he may be ready to join.

But as for the coders, I can judge their quality through all the
patches they have submitted and the bugs they have analyzed (and it is
no small number). So please consider it.

Best regards,

Guillaume