Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal

From: James Spencer
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] New dwarven unit proposal
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:25:14 -0500

This is a copy & Paste froma different mail thread (We should probably
talk about this guy here):

Now on to the resurrected 'Runemaster' line:
-Why the change in policy on him now? (I mean as recently as a couple
of months ago(?) he was not really desirable as an addition. I mean I
brought the subject up myself and it was given a pass.)
-What purpose does he serve?
-Where will he get used?
-Why is this desirable?
-If he doesn't get used why, oh why, is he there?

At one point I advocated for the inclusion of this unit, with the
addition of the Guardsman line I have subsequently changed my mind:
-The Knalgans already have a load of 'interesting' units: A high
powered single shot archer,a berserker (who might need a bit of
re-tooling), the game's only anti-charge unit, a high speed high
damage scout, a variety of cheaper units that all have interesting
properties like: elusivefooted thieves and footpads, the game's only
first level backstabbing unit, the games cheapest impact unit, and a
decent forest / swamp unit in the poacher... They also have a split
between chaotic and neutral units... What the heck does this guy add?

In my opinion all he adds is to the notion that each faction needs a
first level magic user of some sort.

Wesnoth is blessed with more a bevy of good art. That doesn't
necessarily mean that this art is to all wind up in mainline does it?
or that every unit needs a level 3 or (god forbid) a level 4? I mean
we still have the Mermaid Enchantress sitting around... (Not to
mention that all of those new Merfolk & Naga haven't really been shook
down too well yet) What does she do again? As an independent unit line
(as opposed to the special unit he is now) all I see this guy adding
to is the notion that every faction 'needs' a mage...

_James (Shade)