Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....

From: James Spencer
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:23:10 -0500

Sorry if this mail sounds terse & breif... there are a lot of points to cover...

- What to do about the Dwarvish Fighter line? Honestly, I'd say
nothing. Nothing at all. I think you get pretty darn good value for
your 17 gold.
- What to do about the Dwarvish Thunderer line? I'd say 'do nothing'
or MAYBE take one gold off to compensate a bit for the xx-1 nature of
his attack.
- What to do about the Dwarvish Guardsman line? I'd say 'do nothing'
or MAYBE take one gold off to compensate a bit for his slow movement.
But I'd still say 'do nothing', I mean you certainly aren't going to
use this guy as a scout but but hey are a real pain to deal with when
you do HAVE to cross his path.
- What to do about the Dwarvish Ulfserker line? SURGERY IS NEEDED
HERE. I'd say EITHER: a) 2 GP less in cost, or + 1 damage, or
'berserk' should only work on attack (this has been brought up many
times before).
- Give the gryphon rider & gryphons 60% defense in mountains? Sounds OK to me.

- I'd say a 1 GP cost increase in the whole Troll line (or 1 / 1 / 2),
and the 'Orcish Assassin' is probably warranted.

IMHO, the problem with Knalgan vs. Northerner scenarios is much the
same as the problem with anything vs. Northerner scenarios, and you'll
get the most bang for your buck by adding a GP to the cost of the
Troll, and a GP to the cost of the Assassin. (for now I'd add one, and
add another later if it's really needed)

Something should be done to the Ulfserker, and I find the changes to
the Gryphons to be an interesting addition to the game. I'm very
sketchy about the cost reductions in the other Knalga, and I
definitely wouldn't touch the fighter at all.

Now on to the resurrected 'Runemaster' line:
-Why the change in policy on him now? (I mean as recently as a couple
of months ago(?) he was not really desirable as an addition. I mean I
brought the subject up myself and it was given a pass.)
-What purpose does he serve?
-Where will he get used?
-Why is this desirable?
-If he doesn't get used why, oh why, is he there?

At one point I advocated for the inclusion of this unit, with the
addition of the Guardsman line I have subsequently changed my mind:
-The Knalgans already have a load of 'interesting' units: A high
powered single shot archer,a berserker (who might need a bit of
re-tooling), the game's only anti-charge unit, a high speed high
damage scout, a variety of cheaper units that all have interesting
properties like: elusivefooted thieves and footpads, the game's only
first level backstabbing unit, the games cheapest impact unit, and a
decent forest / swamp unit in the poacher... They also have a split
between chaotic and neutral units... What the heck does this guy add?

In my opinion all he adds is to the notion that each faction needs a
first level magic user of some sort.

Wesnoth is blessed with more a bevy of good art. That doesn't
necessarily mean that this art is to all wind up in mainline does it?
or that every unit needs a level 3 or (god forbid) a level 4? I mean
we still have the Mermaid Enchantress sitting around... (Not to
mention that all of those new Merfolk & Naga haven't really been shook
down too well yet) What does she do again? As an independent unit line
(as opposed to the special unit he is now) all I see this guy adding
to is the notion that every faction 'needs' a mage...

That's about all...

_James (Shade)