Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] The problem with Knalgans....
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:34:54 -0600

Some preliminary comments regarding knalgans:
One of their primary weaknesses is to poison. This is because, not only do they have no portable healing, meaning that they must retreat to a village to remove the poison, but they also take a few more turns to do so, in almost all cases, than any other race.

Against enemies like northerners, this flattens them, since the northerners also have other units which exploit other weaknesses of the knalgans (trolls, who are cheap, get good defense in many terrains (or, "better defense than the dwarves", at least), and several more mobile units.

I am of the opinion that the troll whelp should have his cost increased to at least 14. Trolls are especially harsh against dwarves, because few dwarves can pelt them with ranged attacks. This would also have the side effect of making the Orcish grunt cheaper than the troll whelp, which I think would really help - I'd rather see hordes of orcs on the battlefield, than hordes of trolls. I think of trolls as being somewhat less numerous than orcs, although still great in number.

Elvish pillager also suggested increasing the cost of the assassin to 18, which I again think is a change long overdue. The unit is easily as powerful as the elvish archer, if not more so.

My comments are based mostly on watching AI vs AI or human vs AI battles,
so take it for what it is worth in that regard: