Re: [Wesnoth-dev] More Thoughts on Knalgans

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] More Thoughts on Knalgans
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:21:57 -0600

Nils Kneuper wrote:

David White wrote:

I concur. I think that if we make ulfserkers decently powerful, the
dwarves might not have such a problem against poison, because I would
imagine an Ulfserker as a very good unit to use against assassins.

I think that all poison units are a prob for dwarves. There are some
with ranged combat poison like assaassins. But there is also the ghul,
with close combat poison. This unit is worse for dwarves, because they
do not have any good ranged combat fighters.

The ghoul does also pose problems, though it is mitigated by a few things. Firstly, the ghoul isn't as fast or as hard to hit as the assassin. The ghoul can only just outmanuever Dwarves in flat terrain, and the Dwarves can outmaneuver it in rough terrain. It is also easier to hit, meaning that thunderers are a feasible option against enemies that use lots of Ghouls. Admittedly, it does have good resistance against piercing attacks. However, I also don't consider the ghoul as bad as the assassin, because I don't think knalgans are as badly outmatched by the undead at the moment as they are by northerners: gryphons do well against ghosts, and the dwarves have blunt attacks to use against undead foot units.

Finally, making the Ulfserker reasonable will help against ghouls too: an ulfserker can take it upon themselves to charge a ghoul and kill them. The ulfserker will surely be poisoned in the battle, but will also certainly win the battle. Killing a unit that costs 16 gold in exchange for getting a unit that costs 18 gold poisoned is a very good deal. The ulfserker also moves fast enough that getting it to a village isn't quite so bad as for other dwarves. Or you can just use the ulfserker on your next turn to do what it was born to do and die in battle while inflicting lots of damage on another enemy. :-)

So at least one unit,
nbormally more, will get poisoned when attacking ghuls. To heal this
units you have to get them (very slowly) to the next village. I think
a change to the ulfserker is a must. 5-4 or maybe even 4-5 would be
good.

5-4 is the most natural. 4-5 could be 'interesting' though I'm not sure lots of little attacks is really very 'dwarvish'. 7-3 is also an option, which would make it similiar to the dwarvish fighter, just a small amount below.

But nonetheless dwarves could need a unit that can heal *only*
poison status but no damage. This way they could not become
overpowered.
We could consider this, but I'm not sure it's necessary. We can monitor how things go. I would really like to keep poison as a powerful enemy of the dwarves that they must be careful against, though.

David