Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Alternative Balancing

From: John McNabb
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Alternative Balancing
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:30:02 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, James Spencer wrote:

> > >I'm a little more iffy on the Guardsman- That certainly would make him
> > >a terror to deal with (maybe a bit too much so?).
> > >

> > Yes it would.....but only if he can get into position. 3 moves is a
> > really big hindrance. We probably would have to make sure this unit
> > doesn't get "quick" though, otherwise quick versions would be too powerful
> >

> I'm not violently opposed or anything, just a little suspicious...

I really don't think a single quick guardsman would be dangerous even
with a move of 4.  10 quick guardsmen, perhaps, but then 10 quick
anything would be trouble.  I like the idea of the guardsmen being able to
keep up with the fighters.  This can be rationalized in any number of ways
in terms of "realism" .  for example, they're dwarves, so they can carry
heavy armor and shields just as well as light armor, or they carry lighter
weapons then other dwarves to make up for their heavy armor, etc...

        "In theory, theory and practice are the same,
                but in practice they're different."
John W. C. McNabb