Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Top panel

From: John McNabb
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Top panel
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:10:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Richard Kettering wrote:
> The only thing that *needs* changing, IMO, was one of the things Darth
> Fool suggested doing - moving the terrain/defense info below the
> map/time of day images.
>
> That is the only change I would make, but it is a change I would
> strongly suggest.
> It seems to me that most users (including myself), fail to notice the
> presence of this very helpful piece of information because it is
> located in such distant proximity with the other information about the
> unit.
>
> It is "unit" information because it tells how the selected (or moused
> over) unit performs on the given terrain.

I, obviously, agree with this.

I plan in the near future to dump a bunch of different themes into CVS for
people to stare at and decide what they like (not including the fix to fit
7 digits of xp info, which should go in regardless) .  This will include
the slight variation on default with just the map/TOD combo shifted up,
while the defense(status-postion) is moved down.  I think for the purposes
of changing the default mode, I wouldn't shift around the top-most status
windows, except maybe making Sanna's suggested change of moving the turn.
In any case, before making any of these changes to default, I want to have
some variations for people to try.  I'd also like to really understand why
in the DFool theme, the TOD loses its tool-tip for the first turn.  I need
to back out the changes one by one and see where it happens.

There are a couple of theme related coding changes that I am investigating
now as well.  In no particular order they are:

First is the ability to change themes within the game.  This is looking a
lot uglier than I first thought.  It is easy to add functionality to
change the preference (~ 5 lines of code)but the change doesn't propogate
into the current game unless you save/reload.  Fixing this is beginning to
look like a major code change, beyond what I had anticipated.  Still, I
would like to make it easier for people to play with/test different
themes.

Second, there are a few different items mashed togeather in the
status-postion that it would be nice to split up into its component parts.
clearly, for backward compatibility, status-position should be left alone.
I don't think this is a major change to the code.

third, adding in a button with no image, fixed to the rect= variable
associated with it.  This would allow one to have the status windows
become buttons. (for example, the unit # status, when clicked, could
bring up the units window)

fourth, add in some more options for text fonts like specifying colors,
or tying colors to say the unit health-bar color.

fifth? add in the ability to add tool-tips in the theme itself.

All told that list begins to look pretty big, so I don't know how much I
will get done how soon.  Of course, other people are more then welcome to
beat me to making the above changes.

        "In theory, theory and practice are the same,
                but in practice they're different."
John W. C. McNabb