wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] RubyForge...

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] RubyForge...
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:38:43 -0500

Kevin Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 20:04, Richard Kilmer wrote:
> > I want to announce that we (InfoEther) have stood up a community server
> > for Ruby projects here:
> >
> >      http://www.rubyforge.org
> >

> > Kevin...I would really like wxruby on RubyForge.  Curt has said as
> > much, but l'll leave it up to you as whether you want to, and if so
> > when.
>
> Cool. It would actually solve an annoyance in Savannah that there are a
> bunch of directories that are empty but are still there.

Another side of this that I discussed with Rich a few weeks ago, is that I
am in the process of shutting down my old business which was funding the
hosting of the wxRuby anbd FreeRIDE wikis. So we will also be moving the
wikis (and the domain name ownership) to RubyForge. Of course, the wxRuby
wiki doesn't have much information on it yet (but the FreeRIDE wiki does).

> I think the earlier we move, the better. Like before our first release
> would definitely make sense.And I don't think that any of our existing
> version history is really all that interesting.
>
> I would suggest just leaving our Savannah project there, with
> appropriate pointers to the new project, and checking current stuff into
> rubyforge as it is. Simple, and no dependencies on their import script.

This is the way I would do it!

> I guess the most interesting thing we would lose would be this mailing
> list archive. It's valuable, but we could still point back to it. I'm
> not sure it's worth holding up the move over.
>
> If we[1] think we would rather be on rubyforge, let's do it. I can
> probably move everything over the weekend of August 2, if not earlier.
>
> Any concerns from anyone about giving up the old version checkin
> histories?

I don't think its particularly important at this stage of development.

Curt