wxruby-dev

[Wxruby-dev] Fwd: WxRuby - Mac OS X

From: John Platte
Subject: [Wxruby-dev] Fwd: WxRuby - Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:47:03 -0500

Just got some great feedback from Craig Schofield. He gave me permission to pass this on.

I'm replying to him with the workarounds to the type-9 and clicklessness issues.

Begin forwarded message:

OK... So I finally found some time today to try it out.  It took some
effort, but it's sort of working.

Here are the problems I had:

- I had to add "#include <sys/time.h>" to app.cpp for it to compile.

- Something's wrong with "extconf.rb" or the makefile it creates, because it
didn't generate the ".cpp" or ".h" files for about a dozen of the ".t"
files. The compile was dying because it couldn't find the source files, and I finally figured out that these are generated by "wxpp.rb" from the ".t" files. I had to manually generate the files using "wxpp.rb" in order for
the compile to work.

- The link stage died because it said it couldn't find the file "ruby". I
noticed that the link command ended with "-lruby", which I think (?)
indicates the inclusion of a library named "ruby". Since I didn't know what file it was referring to, on a whim I edited the makefile and commented out " -l$(RUBY_INSTALL_NAME)". This allowed the make process to finish without errors. Note: Incidentally, this is the same problem I was having when I
was trying to build the FOX libraries.

After installing wxRuby, I ran the samples... and they all displayed windows (!). However, about half of the samples displayed the following error in an alert: "No bitmap handler for type 9 defined". Also, the contents of the windows draw correctly, but I'm unable to click on anything in the content area. :( The grow box and window title controls work correctly, however.

Let me know if you know how to resolve these issues... Thank you for your
help!

Craig

--
John Platte