Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:03:22 -0800

> > Alper, I appreciate you trying hard to use gettext for as much as
> > possible because I said earlier that gettext is we're using.  However, I
> > said that very early on, and I'm quite willing to go with whatever
> > approach you and any others who work on the actual coding come to agree
> > is most practical.
>
> No I'm not trying hard, actually I don't try at all because I don't have
> much time, but that's not the point here.

I was responding to your statement from your previous mail:

> Since it's certain that gettext will be included, I can give (3) a try
> first, is that OK?

That made me think you were going to try (3) yourself -- using gettext
for all of WinBoard including the rc file (somehow) -- and see how it
works out.  Wasn't that what you meant?

> What's significant is unkept
> promises. For me, Winboard i18n is still on L.Boiko, this is what the list
> archive reflects (show me a post that says "Ok, I give up, anybody to take
> Winboard i18n?").

I imagine Leonardo has been busy -- as this is a volunteer project, I
don't get upset when people say they'll do something right away and
then realize they don't have time.  Other things in life often take
priority.

Leonardo, if you're reading this, could you update us on what you've
been doing on i18n and what your time situation looks like?

> In the mean time, I followed the list and tried to make
> comments hoping to help, but there's nothing. For a volunteer project,
> I assume an open-archived list rather than private interpersonal mails
> as authoritative means of correspondence, because this is not my job, and
> I don't want to handle indecency when I donate my free time.

I haven't been exchanging any private interpersonal mails about the
project with people who are on xboard-devel; everything has been on
the list pretty much since xboard-devel was set up.

> Maybe we should submit tasks in Savannah, set some deadlines, see who's
> doing what...

That would be fine if folks want to do it.  Knowing how little time I
have for the project myself, I couldn't commit to any tasks with
deadlines, but maybe others are able to.

> > Daniel, your suggestion of using macros in the shared code that would
> > expand to Windows internationalization stuff when compiled for WinBoard
> > and gettext stuff when compiled for xboard seems like it could be
> > workable.  It's something to look at if the other approaches that Alper
> > is trying don't work out well.
>
> I don't want to turn this into a rat race, or won't take part if one is
> already set.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a rat race".  I'm not suggesting that
everyone should code something different and we should have a beauty
contest.  You said "I can give (3) a try first", so I naturally
assumed it would not be insulting to talk about what we should try
next if (3) doesn't work out.

> OTOH, I have not received anything about using macros, so this
> must be yet another private email stuff. There's no point announcing open
> projects and soliciting worldwide contribution if you keep doing this,
> people don't like to be fooled believe me.

You are barking up the wrong tree.  There has not been any private
email.  Daniel mentioned this idea in a message that was sent to the
list today.  I expanded somewhat on what he said, but it was there for
you to read:

> | Daniel, how do you propose to internationalize backend.c and the other
> | shared code using Windows language support without breaking their use in
> | xboard?
> |
> I see no problems. Windows supports this for printf stuff too. We could
> use #define calls. I don't see many lines that we must change. The
> importent file for winboard is winboard.c. All the rest are only 3% or
> less text lines.

        --Tim