Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition

From: A. Alper ATICI
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Internationalization proposition
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:04:26 +0200

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 05:03:22PM -0800, Tim Mann wrote:
> > > Alper, I appreciate you trying hard to use gettext for as much as
> > > possible because I said earlier that gettext is we're using.  However, I
> > > said that very early on, and I'm quite willing to go with whatever
> > > approach you and any others who work on the actual coding come to agree
> > > is most practical.
> >
> > No I'm not trying hard, actually I don't try at all because I don't have
> > much time, but that's not the point here.
>
> I was responding to your statement from your previous mail:
>
> > Since it's certain that gettext will be included, I can give (3) a try
> > first, is that OK?
>
> That made me think you were going to try (3) yourself -- using gettext
> for all of WinBoard including the rc file (somehow) -- and see how it
> works out.  Wasn't that what you meant?

I'm asking. That is a question posed to everybody, hoping to trigger some
feedback, because I don't want to step into others' way or replicate
efforts.

> I imagine Leonardo has been busy -- as this is a volunteer project, I
> don't get upset when people say they'll do something right away and
> then realize they don't have time.  Other things in life often take
> priority.

I'm sorry I could not realize that.

> That would be fine if folks want to do it.  Knowing how little time I
> have for the project myself, I couldn't commit to any tasks with
> deadlines, but maybe others are able to.

I think it's possible for people to create their own task.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "a rat race".  I'm not suggesting that
> everyone should code something different and we should have a beauty
> contest.  You said "I can give (3) a try first", so I naturally
> assumed it would not be insulting to talk about what we should try
> next if (3) doesn't work out.

This is not necessary, since it's been decided that gettext is not mandatory
and there exists an eager candidate (the previous was eager, too) I see no
reason to replicate efforts, this has always been my point.

> You are barking up the wrong tree.  There has not been any private
> email.  Daniel mentioned this idea in a message that was sent to the
> list today.  I expanded somewhat on what he said, but it was there for
> you to read:
>
> > | Daniel, how do you propose to internationalize backend.c and the other
> > | shared code using Windows language support without breaking their use in
> > | xboard?
> > |
> > I see no problems. Windows supports this for printf stuff too. We could
> > use #define calls. I don't see many lines that we must change. The
> > importent file for winboard is winboard.c. All the rest are only 3% or
> > less text lines.

Please don't include my address in your To:, cc: or bcc: headers. I don't
want to receive any post that has not made or can't make its way into the
list.

I'll be glad if people who assume responsibilites make this explicit and
give some feedback on their progress. As I've said in my very early posts,
I'm interested in i18n of this project and would consider feedback on that
of xboard. THank you.

--
A. Alper ATICI
PGP key: http://wwwkeys.cz.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0xB824F550