RE: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation

From: Daniel Mehrmann
Subject: RE: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:16:26 +0200

Hello Mark,

Sounds great :) Please tell me if you're ready, i wanna try it.
I have a new idea too. If we ship out this Installer with a chessengine,
maybe crafty or gnuchess, we should add a entry into the windows program
menu too,
as like "Analyze games Internet Chess Server" with the winboard option to
use the
new analyze function.

[....]
> I've noticed that when I compile WinBoard I get an executable that is
> about 995K, Dan, is this what you get? I'm not sure why the
> exe in the

Looks like okay for me. I'll get ~950K with VS6 (SDK Feb 2003).
My old *-dm versions had a size around 900-1100K.

[...]
> All I can think of for now, Dan I'll play with the analyze stuff you
> made as soon as I can.
Thanks !

I have ideas for xboard too:

I wanna change the debug stuff of xboard as winboard does.
I mean i want put all debug information into a "xboard.debug" file
(current pwd)
instead of the screen.

Is that okay for all guys ? Maybe there is a reason why we send it to
stderr ?

Second:
I'll wanna create a own directory for xboard as the most UNIX GUI
applications do that: ~/.xboard
We could put all configuration stuff into that dir. Also i want create a
default setting file for xboard
In this dir, called xboard.conf or xboard.ini with the same syntax as
winboard.ini.

if necessary we could add a option like -no-default-cfg which xboard says:
Do not load/parse xboard.cfg

Also very very importent for me is to make xboard POSIX 99 compatible:
-add "--option" syntax
-add --help|-help|help with a complete command/options overview as many
unix tools do that

What do you think ?

Greetings
Daniel