Re: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:39:00 -0700

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:16:26 +0200, "Daniel Mehrmann" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wanna change the debug stuff of xboard as winboard does.
> I mean i want put all debug information into a "xboard.debug" file
> (current pwd) instead of the screen.
>
> Is that okay for all guys ? Maybe there is a reason why we send it to
> stderr ?

It's OK to send it to a file instead.  Sending it to stderr is
historical.  Some/all of the ICS interaction that goes to stdout would
need to be duplicated into the file too to provide context.  That used
to be a problem with WinBoard.debug -- it was hard to debug ICS problems
because the user input and most of the ICS output were missing -- but I
think I fixed that in 4.2.7 or so.

> Second:
> I'll wanna create a own directory for xboard as the most UNIX GUI
> applications do that: ~/.xboard
> We could put all configuration stuff into that dir. Also i want create a
> default setting file for xboard
> In this dir, called xboard.conf or xboard.ini with the same syntax as
> winboard.ini.

I guess that's good.  Right now xboard uses the standard Xlib method of
argument parsing, so you can set all the options in your .Xdefaults file
or a file named ~/XBoard.  It would be nice not to break that, but on
the other hand, the winboard.ini code is more powerful and allows for
Save Settings.

Allowing --option (and --no-option) is fine.  I'd suggest making it
equivalent to the existing -option (and -xoption) syntax so that
existing shell scripts don't break, but I'm not sure if that's really
important.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/