Re: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Back From Hibernation
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:42:34 -0700

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:52:36 -0700, Mark Ioli <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've noticed that when I compile WinBoard I get an executable that is
> about 995K, Dan, is this what you get? I'm not sure why the exe in the
> current distribution is so much larger, whether it's the compiler or
> what.

It was compiled with cygwin, with debug symbols included.  I think I may
have done something wrong that made it bigger than it should have been,
too, but I never really figured out what.

> Since Microsoft has made their compiler tools free for download,
> we should be able to use the latest one to create a much smaller exe,
> and thus a much smaller install file.

Yeah, I suppose so.  I had ambitions of using GPLed tools for GPLed
software (i.e., cygwin), but maybe that's not worth bothering about.
Since I'm not really doing anything these days, you guys should probably
use the compilers you prefer.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/