Re: [XBoard-devel] when to release 4.4.1?

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] when to release 4.4.1?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:21:25 -0600

Arun Persaud wrote:
seems like we are getting some good bug-reports in lately and also
fixing a lot of them... nevertheless I would like to get the next
version out of the door soon... what do you all think about releasing
4.4.1 on the weekend and then moving on to 4.4.2? Or do you rather wait
until we have more bugs fixed... I would rather release early and often,
especially since we had some bigger bugs in 4.4.0.

Although I said earlier I was ready for release, that was before I got involved with the ICS line wrapping bug. At this point I want to finish that up.

Done:
* Automatic server width updates based on client width changes. [both xboard and winboard, in git already] * get_term_width() [xboard only] in preparation for dealing with the bug report. This function returns the number of columns the xterm has.[in git already] * wrap routine implemented and working, but not complete -- see below [not in git] * rewrote the joining routine to fix bugs when used with timeseal. Occasionally, timeseal's buffer would fill up in the middle of the continuation sequence, causing matching of the sequence to fail, and thus not joining those lines. As part of this, I saw no need for the FICS ivar nowrap being set nor the ICC var wrap being clear, so I removed those since they were specific to certain servers. All that was for was to bypass the joining problem that's now fixed. [not in git]

Not done:
* option for custom continuation sequence when we wrap the lines [intended for xboard and winboard] * finish wrap routine -- must add code to deal with words longer than the width, need to ignore ANSI color sequences when calculating the length * I want windows users to benefit from this. It mostly works in windows, except that there's no equivalent routine to get_term_width() yet. An added complication is properly handling colorized text which can be bold, thus wider than regular. windows uses font attributes instead of just ANSI color sequences. should be doable, but as yet isn't done. * option to allow users to fix the wrap width to some number instead of the actual terminal size. The reason for this is if they want to be able to see ASCII art properly on FICS where people set up their finger notes using long sequences of spaces to get stuff to line up. Obviously that tactic doesn't work unless the wrap function splits at the right spot.

Beyond that, I really would like to take a crack at adding the gnu-readline and history functionality into xboard. That is such a much needed feature, that I envision xboard people upgrading just for that alone.