Re: [XBoard-devel] when to release 4.4.1?

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] when to release 4.4.1?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:11:12 +0200

OK, I think I am done with all bugs now:

 #27751 Negative holding counts displayed?
             fixed
 #27715 2 (minor) graphic issues
             fixed 2nd, cannot reproduce first
 #27699 Fairy pieces in variant normal
             not worth worrying about => won't fix
 #27687 [FR] fallback to GNU Chess if Fairymax not found
             Postponed
 #27667 PV line missing in analysis window
             fixed. All subsequent complaineds fixed as well
 #27650 Line wrap in ICS mode
             fixed, enhanced by Eric
 #27630 Black fairy pieces partly transparent
fixed. But 129-size XBoard bitmaps should be replaced by those from 4.2.7 in git
 #26127 Enhancement: XBoard support for MiniChess 2009
             Postponed (wishlist only)
 #26126 Enhancement: XBoard support for MiniChess 2007
             Postponed (wishlist only)
 #19851 Enhance file position index switches for loading last item in file
             Postponed or won't fix (wishlist only)
 #10990 cmail does not seem to support .cmailgames or .cmailaliases
             ???
 #8847 Moving backward while examining on FICS not reported to engine
Won't fix. I am not sure if I understad this, but if I do, I don't think there is anything to fix #7242 Fonts dialog should not permit setting attributes on ICS Interaction font
            Postponed (not serious)

Some point I do worry about: when I play WinBoard with GUI book, the moves do not seem random: the first move after I start up WinBoard is always e2e4, while the book also contains d2d4. I initialize in InitBackend with srand(timeMark.ms), and I use random() to select the book move and initial setup. Are these functions that do not belong together in gcc/Cygwin? Perhaps we should call random() fifty times at startup; I do that for setting up FRC positions, and they seem to be
different every time.