Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X

From: Steve Nickolas
Subject: Re: [xougen] Re: Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:41:15 -0500

Boris Tschirschwitz wrote:

I followed the advice given on Xouverts home page and looked at "The Art
of UNIX Programming". It's interesting.
My questions: What does a blind person think of X? Should it matter?

I think it should. X is what most applications interact through, and
that's why it matters.
So maybe separating the keyboard and mouse drivers from the X server is
not such a bad idea. Have X connect to general input and output drivers,
or let it load the neccessary modules.

There's a link in the book mentioned above to an article by one of the
creators of X, Jim Gettys, called "The Two-Edged Sword" worth reading.
In this article he mentiones one UI goal: talk to your UI and have it
answer to you. He states that X has all the hooks for this.

So, even though we should certainly not build the hands-off sights-off
user interface in this project, we should set our sights on making this
possible.

Let's not argue about having a sound server in Xouvert or not, let's just
make it possible to build an UI for the blind on top of Xouvert.

Make interfacing to Xouvert for this UI as easy as for your run-of the
mill UI--eveybody would benefit.

Boris.

A ha ha ha, now THERE's something worthwhile... :)

Yes, the system could perhaps benefit from being accessible to people with disabilities... I say this, knowing a couple people with disabilities, that they would probably make better use of computers that could work with their needs... Windoze has had this for years. *ducks* Accessibility is always IMHO a good thing.

-uso.