Re: [Adonthell-devel] Freetype and SWIG configure checks

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Freetype and SWIG configure checks
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:43:01 +0100

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 21:27, you wrote:

> > Actually, we could check if a 'CVS' directory exists and let configure
> > fail if SWIG is not found or not recent enough. Otherwise we might
> > display a message telling people to update SWIG if they plan to make
> > changes to the code.
>
> Checking for the CVS directory wouldn't cover all cases IMO. Someone
> could want to develop with the released versions - actually I find it
> better to display a message each time py_adonthell_wrap.cc need to be
> rebuild and SWIG isn't good. This will always abord compilation when
> needed - even when people want to mess with releases.

Uh, seems my writing was a bit misleading:
I meant configure should fail if SWIG is not found or not recent _and_ a CVS
directory exists. That's a sure thing, so nothing would speak against it.

If there is no CVS directory, SWIG is not required, so configure mustn't
fail. Instead it displays a simple warning message and continues. That's what
I have done an hour ago or so.

Regarding your point: it doesn't hurt to have the check in the Makefile as
well. That way people who did not notice the warning will know what is wrong.
However, the current check only test whether swig is installed or not. We
should change that to look for the proper version too. Otherwise people might
be able to compile Adonthell, but will not be able to run it afterwards,
which is much worse.