Re: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Brief update on XML/CMake

From: Tyler Nielsen
Subject: Re: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Brief update on XML/CMake
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:04:09 -0600

On 10/26/06, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was always thinking that stuff would be loaded at
> need. So if a new map is loaded, and it would reference some
> animations, a look up in the animation cache would take place, and if
> stuff is not in there it would be loaded.

Yes,  that makes sense.  It might not be clear from the code yet, but my intention is very close to what you first described.  There is a little ambiguity in naming (animation means two things in the code right now).  So I'll throw out some terms, and let you correct me :)

Sprite is a collection of animations that one object can do.
Animation is a sequence of frames.
Frame is one png.

The way it's set up in code now, animation is used for sprite and/or animation in most places.  I see it working that each file contains one sprite, and as such contains all the things that sprite can do.  So we might end up with something like this:

desk.xml -> has one animation (default) where it just sits there
some_walking_guy.xml -> has several animations where he is walking in different directions.

Based on map load one or both files will be loaded.  Let me know what you think.

Tyler