Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Refactoring wished

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Refactoring wished
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:32:13 +0200

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Chris Frey <address@hidden> wrote:

> A step-by-step document on how to build the whole thing would help
> new users to get started, help new programmers understand the dependencies,
> and help experienced developers see places the process could be improved.

This would be a first step. Anyone volunteering for something like
that? While I could possibly write something up, I'm not sure I'd
catch all the little pitfalls that somebody not as familiar with the
whole thing would stumble into.

> I would add that the build process is part of the code, and needs to be
> tested during development too.

That's true too. After all, we're going to leave binary releases to
the various distributions, so the source should come with a fairly
well tested, standard build system, such as configure/make or (to a
lesser degree) cmake.

Nonetheless I'd be the least to vote against something that would make
life for developers easier. Documentation is a first step and I would
invite anyone to improve what is currently there
(http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Getting_Started)
or at least leave comments on the talk pages.

A second step could be said script to prepare the environment so stuff
can be started right out of the source/build tree.

Any further suggestions are welcome too, although I'd say the two
steps above should address most of the issues.