Re: [Adonthell-devel] Quickstartguide

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Quickstartguide
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:01:15 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Enrico Kochon
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Already done:
> http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:QuickStart
> However, it turned out, the adonthell-documentation I found in the wiki
> was rather complete. Maybe, this guide could help getting the info
> faster.

Great job :-).

>> A second step could be said script to prepare the environment so stuff
>> can be started right out of the source/build tree.

> Well, this is something I have not done yet. The issue with the
> superuser is forced to install the software is still open. I am not sure
> wether I could solve it with a shell script. For the sake of lazyness I
> let it be for the moment.

The idea is of course that you wouldn't have to install it at all :-).
There is even a stub to work from. I couldn't find it last time
around, but now I remembered that it is generated by the automake
build. See

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/adonthell/src/Makefile.am?root=adonthell&view=markup

The generated scripts would look like that:

run.sh:
    #/bin/sh
    ADONTHELL_MODULES_PATH="/path/to/build/src" $@

python.sh:
    #/bin/sh

PYTHONPATH="$PYTHONPATH:/path/to/build/src/py-wrappers:/path/to/build/src/py-wrappers/adonthell/.libs"
source /path/to/build/src/run.sh python $@

Since we do not know /path/to/build/dir, those scripts would have to
be created during the build phase.

Setting the ADONTHELL_MODULES_PATH should make sure that the backend
modules are found, PYTHONPATH does the same for the Python wrappers.
We've been probably getting away without LD_LIBRARY_PATH here since
libtool sets the proper RPATH when linking stuff. Not sure how CMake
behaves in this respect, although it has a multitude of options
regarding handling of the RPATH.

Anyway, I have to say that I never used those scripts, so there might
be some tweaking required. I am also a bit unsure what happens if you
have installed Adonthell somewhere in your path. But if you want to
build upon that for more convenience, please feel free!

> I tried test/worldtest -g ../adonthell/test/
> but got only a black screen, is the software still broken?
> (checkout at friday 2008/10/17 - 01:01 am)

Should be in a working state. Any helpful console output? It's usually
pretty verbose if it fails to find any data file.