Re: [Adonthell-devel] GUI question

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] GUI question
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 22:50:52 +0200

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Rian Shelley <address@hidden> wrote:

> That was my intention when i wrote the code. I specifically designed
> it so that you could feed the base object the keystrokes. I never
> quite got to wondering what to do with the text fields because i
> figured they would be rare in the actual game play.

I guess so. The one that springs to mind is the character name, and
that could be set to a default, as was the case with Waste's Edge.
Other instances might be naming of save games, annotations on a map or
in a log book. None of which are really critical for gameplay, so we
may not have to worry much about people without keyboard.

> It would probably be fairly easy to create a new gui object that has a
> button for every letter in the alphabet, and then feeding those
> characters to whatever child object you want. The only gotcha would be
> generating it for an arbitrary charset.

Might be enough to start with ASCII. But you'd need some way to
trigger it only when needed, maybe a flag in the configuration / game
options.

But yeah, I guess the input for the GUI needs to stay the way it is
right now. I can add gamepad support (and possibly use the control
event configuration to properly map the directional buttons and the
space and escape actions). But there's no point in allowing to remap
the keyboard controls for controlling the GUI.