Re: [Adonthell-devel] GUI question

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] GUI question
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:10:18 +0200

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Josh Glover <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Of course, we'd need somebody with a gamepad to actually test :-).
>
> Got one. :)

Great! Then here's what you'd have to do:

Get the latest and greatest code (just added some helpful bits to
test/inputtest). Run test/inputtest to see if we get any gamepad
events at all. If we do, it'll print the name of each key you press.
That's what you'll have to insert into ~/.adonthell/adonthell.xml

Here's the caveat: I checked and it is indeed the case that config
options are stored in a map internally. So right now you can only
configure one key/button for every action. So if you configure for
gamepad, you no longer can use the keyboard to steer your character.
For a brief test, that's okay, but in the long run we should change
that.

One way to achieve that would be to reverse the configuration. Right
now we have the action as key and the assigned control as value. If we
take the control as key instead and the action as value, we can map
multiple controls to the same action. The only issue with that is that
a configuration GUI will get a bit more difficult to implement.

Anyway, please test and let me know of any issues.