Re: [Adonthell-devel] Sign of life

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Sign of life
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:29:56 +0200

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Josh Glover <address@hidden> wrote:

Hey Josh!

>> The question then is, should WE be put aside for a while and instead
>> other aspects of the engine get the focus?
>
> I don't think so. As you noted, WE is entertaining. The quest is
> well-structured, with rich dialogue trees that lend a convey a real feeling
> of solving a mystery.
>
> I think a polished, nice-looking WE would get us some attention *and* really
> invigourate and motivate the team.

Sure, but how to get to that point in the first place?

> Speaking of motivating the team, we should try to set up some hackathons.
> Pick a time once a month or so when a few developers can all be on IRC and
> working at the same time. For us Europeans, we could even try to meet up
> physically. A long weekend vacation with a few hours to hack on the Saturday
> night, for example.

Sounds like something to consider :-). A few hours on saturday won't
see much new code written, but could be quite useful for getting
organized and distributing work. Anyone else having some interest in
this?

Setting up some an IRC meeting, as we did in the past, once a month,
could serve the same purpose. But in all cases, we need to be a few
developers at least, and need to define reasonable tasks that could be
completed in the time between meetings. Advertising the results in
some way to the general audience, as suggested by Chris, doesn't seem
like a bad idea either.

> I live in Stockholm, which is a lovely city to visit during the summer, and
> I'm on my summer holidays from mid-July to mid-August. If Kai or anyone else
> is interested, we should try to set something up.

Stockholm would be a nice place to visit. I'll definitely consider
that. Might have to turn it into a family trip, however.