[Adonthell-devel] Moving v0.3 code to git

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Moving v0.3 code to git
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 23:57:49 +0200

I've finally started thinking about the last "big" item on my TODO list, and wanted to hear your thoughts on that matter.

While all the v0.4 stuff is on Github, I would rather keep v0.3 code with Savannah, now that they also offer git repositories. The one thing that is less then ideal, however, is that by default Savannah only provides a single git repository. Additional repos can be added upon request, but they are not as visible as the "default". I.e. there is no direct link to browse them. Basically looks like this:
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=grip

While refreshing my memory on the conversion process, I came upon the following, where multiple CVS modules have been moved into a single git repository, each into its own subfolder.
  https://www.isostech.com/blogs/software-development/journey-cvs-git/
This might work for us, but has the drawback that file history is not as easily accessible, as each file must be moved in the process.

Of course, there's still the option of dropping the code at Github, alongside v0.4, but that way it is even less visible from the Savannah project page.

So the question is, how to proceed? My preference is still option 1 (two repos at Savannah), but perhaps there are also additional options that I have not thought about yet.

Btw., I have a first test run of git cvsimport completed for both adonthell-0.3 and wastesedge. Only need to add a couple committers to the authors conversion file for the actual conversion, and then decide where to push the code.

Once that is done, I can do a few final tweaks, like renaming configure.in to configure.ac and fix permissions on a number of files that shouldn't be executable.