Re: [aspell] Turkish dictionary questions

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] Turkish dictionary questions
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:06:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> > 1)for the main dictionary does it always ahve to be
> > single words or can double words be used. For example
> > there is a word "abur cubur" this is only meaningfull if
> > it is used like the above. When considered as separate
> > words it has no meaning.
>
> Last time I tried, this was not possible, but this would be
> very useful for the Danish dictionary as well, since various
> French and Latin _expressions_ are allowed in Danish.

The basic problem is that when tokenizing a string there is no good way to
keep phrases together.  So the solution is to some how add special
conditions to certain words which will dictate which words can come
before/after it.  Then there is also a problem of how to come up with
intelligent suggestions.  What further complicates things is that many
applications send words to Aspell a word at a time.  So even if Aspell did
support such a thing many applications that would use Aspell will
not.

So, in order for this to work applications will need to send text to
Aspell a document or at least a sentence at a time.  Unfortunately the
framework for doing this is not there yet.  It will be once o finish the
filter interface which I really hope to have done by the end of January.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/