Intro

From: Jan Braun
Subject: Intro
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:58:15 +0100

Good morning everyone!

First of all: thank you for your ongoing support in
writing this cool software.

I’d like to introduce myself.  My name is Jan, I am an
old timer, using Emacs since version 18.  Soon after
that I was introduced to LaTeX (being still 2.09) and
short after that to AUCTeX (on Emacs-19.2 or 19.3 if
I recall correct.)

Since those days I have rarely used anything else, to
write my LaTeX files.  Occasionally TeXnicCenter or
TeXStudio, when I am giving LaTeX courses.

After leaving university---well, that phrase is not
correct, I never left university, as I am staff member
till today.  How about that: after finishing my Diploma
and being in the business the opportunities to use LaTeX
and Emacs declined, as was to expect, but there were
always some special fields.

I am enthusiast Emacs user, prefer free software wherever
I can, but please don’t blame me, that my employer was so
kind, to provide me a MacOS based computer.  (The only
other choice would have been a Windows based computer
with massive restricted account and no admin
permissions …)  Most time of the day I am working on
MacOS, its fine, its reliable and it very much Unix like,
which is OK to me.

At the time of writing this, I have a real bunch of small
projects, which will eventually come together some day.
Most of the projects are related to the creation of LaTeX
based style files.  Instead of just writing them as quick
and dirty as well as undocumented style files, I am now
digging into Doc and Docstrip (and even LaTeX3).

This is the reason, why I joined this list.  Somethings
rotten in my system (although it is not danish ;-)).  I
was able to start a clean Emacsen (v27.2 of Nov. 2021).
I used options —no-init-file and —no-site-file to start
Emacs.  In scratch buffer I added and evaled

(add-to-list 'load-path
   "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.1.1")
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)

only to find out, that it looks exactly the same, as if
I had started Emacs and loaded my full-grown ~/.emacs
file with 20+ years of adding more and more functions.

Most noteably and in contrast to one of the screenshots,
you offer on the official AUCTeX site
(https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/img/auctex-screenshot-doctex.png)
my buffer looks crooked.  The grey background color on
the documentation parts in my buffer only stretches as
far, as the text line goes.  That makes the look very
flimsy?  (I can provide a screenshot, if thats OK for
you?)

Also, a lot of usual DocTeX commands are unknown and
have to be typed in completely by hand (i.e. no auto-
completion).  For example, I always have to type in
`C-c C-e macrocode RET’.  Although AUCTeX pretends
to not know this environment, it is inserted almost
correctly, i.e. the `%    \begin{macrocode}’  and
`%    \end{macrocode’ blocks are inserted.  But I am
a bit disappointed, that the line between begin and
end still has the percent sign, which should
definitely not be there in the first place.

So before opening a bug report, which later turns out
to be evidence of my stupidity, I’d thought, I’d ask
here for some advice.

Bye

   Jan

--
Jan Braun (er/ihm, he/him)
Jan.Braun@klein-gallien.org

=== ypchsh /usr/local/bin/emacs === go FORTH now … ===