Re: Intro

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Intro
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 12:48:41 +0100

Hi Jan,

Jan Braun <Jan.Braun@klein-gallien.org> writes:

> I was able to start a clean Emacsen (v27.2 of Nov. 2021).  I used
> options —no-init-file and —no-site-file to start Emacs.  In scratch
> buffer I added and evaled
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path
>    "~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.1.1")
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
>
> only to find out, that it looks exactly the same, as if
> I had started Emacs and loaded my full-grown ~/.emacs
> file with 20+ years of adding more and more functions.

I'm not sure if I understand this part since I don't know how it looks
with and without loading your .emacs.  But since you've installed AUCTeX
from ELPA, your should refrain from doing the above.  Instead, start
Emacs with

  emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file

and then eval these forms in scratch

  (require 'package)
  (package-initialize)

AUCTeX should be then at your service.  Also have a look at the quick
start section in the manual[1].  That should get you going.

> Most noteably and in contrast to one of the screenshots,
> you offer on the official AUCTeX site
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/img/auctex-screenshot-doctex.png)
> my buffer looks crooked.  The grey background color on
> the documentation parts in my buffer only stretches as
> far, as the text line goes.  That makes the look very
> flimsy?  (I can provide a screenshot, if thats OK for
> you?)

Maybe we can sort the first part out and then proceed.  Sending
screenshots is usually no problem, just don't make them huge.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex.html#Quick-Start