Handling spam on gnu.org mailing lists

From: Russ Allbery
Date: 07 Apr 2001 17:10:34 -0700

I think the gnu.org -bug lists should be open to all comers.  -bug lists
are by nature high-noise, and people who can't deal with a bit of spam
aren't going to be able to deal with the truckloads of poorly specified
and mostly unusable bug reports either.

As for working mailing lists such as this one, the gcc mailing lists have
adopted the interesting strategy of letting through all posts by
subscribers and then letting through any messages from non-subscribers
*if* they pass fairly aggressive blackhole lists.  While this has caused
occasional problems, it seems fairly effective, and it's trivial to work
around without changing ISPs (which can be a major hardship for some
people).  I think it's a useful compromise.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>