RE: Spam, Bacon, Eggs & Spam (was: Re: yada $1.4M yada)

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: RE: Spam, Bacon, Eggs & Spam (was: Re: yada $1.4M yada)
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:16:14 +0200

> The only *fair* thing to do is to block all e-mail from all known and
> proven open relays and spam sources.  *IFF* this ever causes any
> legitimate messages to be blocked then the only effect will be positive
> in that the user who gets the bounce will learn that his site is well
> known as a proven open relay or as a spam source and the result will be
> that the user will either encourage his or her postmaster to fix their
> mailer, or user will find another more reliable e-mail service provider.

I suppose you're right; the fact that it's a public mailing list does
indeed change things. The FSF's attitude is perfectly correct when dealing
with private e-mail addresses - you don't want to inadvertently block
"good" mail sent directly to you - but for a mailing list, a block would
be quite appropriate, provided each blocked message gets a clear response
as to the reason.

Like Russ, I also believe this should NOT be applied to the bug-* lists,
so as not to scare of (l)users making bug reports; those posts are a
Good Thing(tm).