Re: Spam, Bacon, Eggs & Spam (was: Re: yada $1.4M yada)

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: Spam, Bacon, Eggs & Spam (was: Re: yada $1.4M yada)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 21:43:29 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Saturday, April 7, 2001 at 20:43:07 (+0200), Tim Van Holder wrote: ]
> Subject: Spam, Bacon, Eggs & Spam (was: Re: yada $1.4M yada)
>
> I agree with the FSF on this one - better let through 10 spams than block
> 1 important mail; similar to your argument, most everyone on gnu.org
> mailing lists will also know how to configure their mailer to filter out
> potential spam.

I really don't know where you get the idea that *all* users should be
subjected to abuse by outsiders just so that the mere possibility of
blocking a so-called "legitimate" message is ruled out.  That's so
totally inconsiderate that I just can't believe anyone would even fathom
taking that position!  Do you realise what your attitude does to the
entire community?

In reality all the FSF is doing is providing a wide open and free venue
for all spammers.  They know damn well they can hit us all up for free
and they'll never stop until they're blocked by technical controls.

My apologies to the converted, but it seems a little more preaching is
perhaps still of some use here....

Meanwhile if someone tries to post a legitimate message from a blocked
site (eg. an open relay) then in reality none of us want to see their
message no matter how relevant it might be.  From the SMTP server's
point of view it is literally impossible to tell if the message is going
to be a spam or not until it's way to late and it's already been
accepted onto the system.  ALL E-mail from all known open relays and
all known spam havens must be blocked outright, *especially* from public
forums that will do nothing but multiply the spammer's effectiveness and
cut his costs!

The only *fair* thing to do is to block all e-mail from all known and
proven open relays and spam sources.  *IFF* this ever causes any
legitimate messages to be blocked then the only effect will be positive
in that the user who gets the bounce will learn that his site is well
known as a proven open relay or as a spam source and the result will be
that the user will either encourage his or her postmaster to fix their
mailer, or user will find another more reliable e-mail service provider.

It is infinitely better to block one legitimate e-mail and all spams
than it is to let even one spam through, especially on a public forum
such as a gnu.org mailing list!  The legitimate poster will then help
fight against spam.  Truly legitimate posters will always be able to
find a way to successfully post from a secure mail server.

The only valid argument in this discussion is over which blocking lists
can be trusted and which should be avoided.

--
                                                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <address@hidden>     <address@hidden>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>;   Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>