Re: Conditionals in CVS Automake

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: Conditionals in CVS Automake
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:26:24 -0600

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Robert> Hello all!  I've found a problem with conditional compilation
> Robert> in the CVS version of Automake that was introduced some time
> Robert> since March 4.  Multi-language-branch libtool fails 16 test
> Robert> cases because the Makefile lacks the rules that it needs, to
> Robert> build a target, they are commented out.
>
> I'm most probably responsible for this failure.  But I'd like to know
> whether one of the patches in the queue solves your issue.  Could you
> give a try to
>
> http://www.lrde.epita.fr/people/akim/download/this-is-not-automake-1.4e.tar.gz
>
> Thanks!

Akim:

Well, I've been trying to test your patches, but I'm running into
other problems.  If I install your version of automake, then
run the Libtool bootstrap script, configure and make, the -c option
that libtool passes to the compiler is gone.  This results in
errors because the compiler tries to link every file it compiles:

make[1]: Entering directory `/icarus/GNU/libtool/libltdl'
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -g
-O2  -o ltdl.lo ltdl.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -g -O2 ltdl.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/ltdl.o
/usr/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'
/tmp/ccSWYBux.o: In function `sys_dl_open':
/icarus/GNU/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.c:579: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/icarus/GNU/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.c:583: undefined reference to `dlerror'
/icarus/GNU/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.c:583: undefined reference to `dlerror'

If you'd like to reproduce this, get CVS multi-language-branch libtool
and CVS autoconf (I'm not sure that matters though).  I wish I could
tell you more about what the problem is.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center