Re: MS Dev Studio

From: Paul F. Kunz
Subject: Re: MS Dev Studio
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 06:50:27 -0700

>>>>> On Thu, 17 May 2001 20:00:19 -0600, Tom Tromey <address@hidden> said:

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul F Kunz <address@hidden> writes:
Paul> For Windows users, I use my am2msdev tool to read Makefile.am
Paul> files and generate MS Visual Studio project files.

> How much of the automake syntax does it understand?  This might be
> an interesting feature to integrate into the next major release (not
> 1.5, but whatever the one after that is).

   Let's put it this way.  You can't do much with a MS Dev Studio
project file (`.dsp').  You can build a shared or static library, but
not both.  Or you can build a executable.  However, my tool also
generates the required workspace file (`.dsw') that lists the project
files.  So there's not much my tool needs to understand.  It just
recurisively goes thru the subdirs to pick up all the source files.

   The tool is written in C++ and uses autoconf/automake to build it
under UNIX.  The testsuite is for it to build its own MS Dev Studio
files, so when you ftp its distribution file to a Windows platform, it
can build itself there.  Altho the tool is small, its source tree is
delibrately made complex to test automake features it is suppose to
understand.   So by looking at its Makfile.am files, you can see what
it understands about automake.   The source is at

ftp://ftp.slac.stanford.edu/users/pfkeb/automake/am2msdev-0.4.1.tar.gz

> This will give Akim a chance to change all the output routines to
> use objects and be more nicely structured :-)

   The .dsp files don't look like Makefiles, or even Nmake files.
They are, however, ASCII text.