Re: Automake (alpha) release request

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake (alpha) release request
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:00:26 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Bob Proulx wrote:

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
Thanks for your replies! As I understood the Automake
release is delayed because its licensing info has not
been updated to GPLv3 yet?

Actually the reverse.  Because the licensing has already been updated
it is now delayed.  Automake installs auxiliary files into your
project.  They have previously had this license wording.

The license update can simply be temporarily reverted back to v2 (with FSF approval).

There are a number of projects that are also waiting for this
licensing issue to be resolved.  Everyone wants it to happen.  But the
automake team's hands are tied while the FSF works this licensing
issue out.  I can only recommend patience.

History shows that this could take months, or over a year to work out.

It is possible that some non-GNU packages may not be satisfied with the result (after waiting months or a year) and so we will end up with forked versions of autoconf, automake, and libtool. As we know, autoconf effectively forked before and we don't want that to happen again.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn