Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:51:48 -1000

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Václav Zeman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am looking for a good example of a project with non-recursive Make
> that is using Automake, that is not trivial. I would like to convert my
> project, log4cplus, to non-recursive Make style, if it is possible. Any
> recommendations?

http://mingw-w64.sf.net

Specifically, the mingw-w64-crt sub project.  It's completely non-recursive.

The only thing you really have to watch out for with non-recursive
automake is that all source file references have to be from the top of
your source directory.  For instance, say you have this:

src/Makefile.am
src/file1.c
src/file2.c
src/more/Makefile.am
src/more/file3.c
src/more/file4.c

If you include src/more/Makefile.am into src/Makefile.am (a perfectly
valid thing to do), you will be unpleasantly surprised that
src/more/Makefile.am has to actually know where it is in the source
tree.  It needs lines like this:

prog_SOURCES += more/file3.c more/file4.c

and **NOT** this:

prog_SOURCES += file3.c file4.c

It's really annoying.  It means that renaming a directory is reaaaaaaly hard.