Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude : how to slow it down ?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude : how to slow it down ?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:57:06 +0200 (MET DST)

Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Damn, I lowered it to 20, and still takes about the same amount of
> time, I am starting to wonder if my modification is taken into
> account ?! :-/

The overhead of calling usleep() is apparently already larger than the
amount of delay caused by it.  Also, there's a system-dependent
granularity of which delays can be had with this kind of sleep
functions, often it's just 10 ms granularity (i.e. 100 Hz clock
frequency).  You can just write usleep(1) as well.

You could try a spin-loop instead, albeit that's of course going to
become a resource hog.  But then, parallel-port bit-banging is a
resource hog anyway.

void delay(int something)
{
  volatile int i;
  for (i = something; i > 0; i--)
    ;
}

> Everytime I try a new value I do:

Ouch. :-)

Nope, you don't need to remove anything, just make and make install do
suffice.  You don't even need to make install, just typing ./avrdude
will work as well.