Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude : how to slow it down ?

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Avrdude : how to slow it down ?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:10:08 +0200

> You could try a spin-loop instead, albeit that's of course going to
> become a resource hog.  But then, parallel-port bit-banging is a
> resource hog anyway.
>
> void delay(int something)
> {
>   volatile int i;
>   for (i = something; i > 0; i--)
>     ;
> }

Oh thanks Joerg, that works a treat ! I can very finely control the
speed with this loop, it's a complete success !! :o)
For example, my program is 4.5KB in size, and with 'delay' values
ranging from 10,000 to 100 loops, avrdude took from 20s to 2s to write
the program into the AVR. So I can really control things
accurately ! :o)

> Nope, you don't need to remove anything, just make and make install do
> suffice.  You don't even need to make install, just typing ./avrdude
> will work as well.

... and indeed, a simple 'make' and ./avrdude were all that was needed.
And to top it all, every time I recompiled, it was MUCH quicker than the
first time I compiled it... I guess it recompiled only the required
files, not the whole program, so I could make many changes/tries in just
a couple minutes ! :o)

Wow, you boys on this list give me wings ! Only 2 days ago I didn't even
know how to use a makefile, and now I am "hacking"/customizing avrdude,
jeez, what's happening to me ! ;-)
Please don't stop, I am amazed how fast I progress with you all ! :o)

Regards,

--
Vince