RE: [avr-chat] Can't Install avr-gcc in FreeBSD

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] Can't Install avr-gcc in FreeBSD
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:43:47 -0600

FYI, GCC does have an "LTO" project (Link Time Optimizations) that I guess
several people are working on. It has it's own branch in the GCC repository.
There was a talk about some of the LTO stuff at the most recent GCC Summit.
There are some pages on it in the GCC wiki. Start here:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LinkTimeOptimization>

So the GCC folks *are* working on it. Stuff like this takes time as, by
nature, these folks are very conservative when making changes. They don't
want to break things in the middle when they're adding things.

Offhand, I don't know the schedule for inclusion of this. I tend to doubt
that it will get included in 4.3. My gut feel is it might be in 4.4. But I
could be horribly wrong.

Eric