RE: [avr-chat] GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:59:01 -0600

I am constantly thinking about "product". A GUI front-end makes absolute
sense and has been needed for *years*.

- AVR Studio has a lot of success with making it easy, for a single-end
user, to program fuses, mainly through verbose descriptions of the settings
- AVR Studio's weakness has been mass programming of devices, and
reproducibility. *Always* setting the fuses graphically is error-prone. This
is where avrdude excels because it can be used in a batch mode from the
command line and especially from "make".
- There historically has been a disconnect between how the GUI front-end
handles the settings, with checked fields for individual settings, and how
the command line handles it dealing with bytes represented in hexadecimal.

The key is that BOTH methods are needed for very different reasons. The GUI
makes it easy for the beginning user. The command-line makes it easy for the
advanced user. Both methods are NOT mutually exclusive. Both methods are
needed to provide a powerful tool to the user.

The real question on the table is, how to implement it given the acceptance
criteria of cross-platform GUI? That's a real technical challenge right now.
Here's one idea: Java. Honestly, I'm not a real big fan of Java, mainly
because the user has to download a large JVM just to run some simple
program. One alternative is to write the GUI in Java, but to compile it
using GCC (the GCJ compiler) which can also directly compile to native code,
not just the byte-code. Leave it to distributors to decide whether to
compile to native code (producing executables) or whether to compile to byte
code. This leaves it open to possibly including this into a plug-in for
Eclipse.

I realize that that's just one idea. I'm certainly open to other ideas.

Eric Weddington