RE: [avr-chat] GUI wrapper for avrdude

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: RE: [avr-chat] GUI wrapper for avrdude
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

> The real question on the table is, how to implement it given the
> acceptance
> criteria of cross-platform GUI? That's a real technical challenge
> right now.
> Here's one idea: Java. Honestly, I'm not a real big fan of Java,
> mainly
> because the user has to download a large JVM just to run some simple
> program.

There are other cross platform GUI tool kits.  WxWidgets works well
"v" is another but there are many more listed here
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html

For this very simple application you don't need anything like C or C++
one of the scripting languages would work, tcl/tk, pl/tk, ruby or
Pythion.  All it would have to do is present the user a bunch of
radio butons, pull downs and file browser.  It reads there then builds
and "execs" a command line

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden