Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:00:45 -0600

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:42:50PM -0500, King, Mike wrote:
> Why would one choose an 8051 based microcontroller for new designs?  I
> realize this is an AVR mailing list but I would imagine not all of you
> use AVR exclusively.

A "design" may be new but one may have hardware or software modules that
are tried and true from other designs. Not limited to assemblers,
compilers, and debuggers.

If one already buys 8051's for another project it doesn't make much
sense to add yet another purchase item to the corporate inventory unless
the 8051's are proving inadequate..

AVR is single-sourced from Atmel. 8051 clones come from many different
sources (including Atmel), in many different configurations.

Cost. Is possible that an 8051 costs less than an AVR. Depends on a lot
of parameters.

Radiation hardening. If you need it, its not optional.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden