Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:13:23 +0200

From:   "King, Mike" <address@hidden>
To:     "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
Date sent:      Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:42:50 -0500
Subject:        [avr-chat] Why 8051?

> Why would one choose an 8051 based microcontroller for new designs?  I
> realize this is an AVR mailing list but I would imagine not all of you use
> AVR exclusively.

Peripherals. One get peripherals with 8051 cores which simply are not available
for the AVR.
High resolution A/D.  8051 + MAC  + PHY etc. If a peripheral exists, it is
probably available
with a device which has a 8051 core as well.
If one gets well matched peripherals to one's application, then even the most
horrible core
will be a better fit than a nice core with poorly matched peripherals.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus--
A J Erasmus