Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Why 8051?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 06:56:17 +0100 (MET)

"King, Mike" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why would one choose an 8051 based microcontroller for new designs?

One argument that hasn't been posted so far: there's at least one
(possibly more) 8051 IP core around that can be freely used, including
integration into your own FPGAs or IC designs.  That's one of the
reasons why, when equipping a custom IC with a microcontroller core,
an 8051 is often chosen.  (Though I think that these folks probably
don't also have to program the controller afterwards...  Given a
choice of two jobs where one involves programming an 8051-style
controller, and another one a modern controller core, I'd for sure not
touch the 8051 with a pole.  There are also two non-Atmel AVR cores
around, for example, but sure, if your company is labelled something
else but "Atmel", you probably wouldn't want to claim ATmega103
compatibility in your datasheets. :)