Re: Support for ATTINY827, 1627 and 3227

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: Support for ATTINY827, 1627 and 3227
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 17:23:56 +0800

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 5:07 PM Konrad Rosenbaum <konrad@silmor.de> wrote:
> The "serialupdi" only appeared around avrdude 7.0 - so check you have a
> current version.
> It is spelled exactly as I wrote it in this mail:
>
> bash> avrdude -c \? 2>&1 | grep -i updi
>  atmelice_updi      = Atmel-ICE (ARM/AVR) in UPDI mode
>  jtag2updi          = JTAGv2 to UPDI bridge
>  jtag3updi          = Atmel AVR JTAGICE3 in UPDI mode
>  pickit4_updi       = MPLAB(R) PICkit 4 in UPDI mode
>  pkobn_updi         = Curiosity nano (nEDBG) in UPDI mode
>  powerdebugger_updi = Atmel PowerDebugger (ARM/AVR) in UPDI mode
>
>  serialupdi         = SerialUPDI    <<<<===== THAT'S THE ONE
>
>  snap_updi          = MPLAB(R) SNAP in UPDI mode
>  xplainedmini_updi  = Atmel AVR XplainedMini in UPDI mode
>  xplainedpro_updi   = Atmel AVR XplainedPro in UPDI mode
>
> If you don't have that: simply download AVRdude sources from GitHub and
> compile it yourself. It's really easy.

Indeed it is pretty easy to build avrdude under Linux.
https://github.com/avrdudes/avrdude/wiki/Building-AVRDUDE-for-Linux

avrdude 7.1 was released early this year.
https://github.com/avrdudes/avrdude/releases/tag/v7.1

But if you are reluctant to build from source, Arduino project provides
a static link version here for Linux/macOS/Windows.
https://github.com/arduino/avrdude-packing/releases/tag/7.1-arduino.1

Interestingly we have similar discussions here.
https://github.com/SpenceKonde/DxCore/issues/398

Either jtag2updi or SerialUPDI can work well with the new UPDI AVR parts.

jtag2updi: you can use a Uno or Nano to make a UPDI programmer.
https://github.com/ElTangas/jtag2updi

SerialUPDI (the URL name has jtag2updi but it is really talking about
SerialUPDI),
you can use a USB to TTL converter to make a UPDI programmer
https://github.com/SpenceKonde/AVR-Guidance/blob/master/UPDI/jtag2updi.md

--
Xiaofan